The journey of healing 20-year-old keloid scar

After a five-year of hiatus from adhering to keloid treatment, I decided to re-embark in the journey eversince I notice the size is slowly increasing.

I have a keloid scar on left shoulder resulted from BCG vaccination injection about 20 years ago. 

The scar started to surface after the injection site inflamed and oozed out pus.

It started with only at the size of a pea , I guess scratching it really promotes the growth overtime.

Began my first treatment about 10 years ago when I was in med school where training plastic surgeons were more than welcomed to take cases for free. I thought a one-off surgery was enough to remove the entire excess flesh.

It turned out the standard of procedures include steroid injections directly into the flesh which I can say was more painful than child labouring, if I recalled now.  

Other procedures are by sticking silicone gel sheet over the scar.  I was given bandage to support the gel sheet but anatomical structure of shoulder made it hard to keep the bandage in place. It is quite annoying.

Gave up the treatment and thought I should just accept the appearance.

Not long after that, I had a laparoscopic surgery to remove appendix. I thought I would have three scars from the scope insertion sites but they were naturally flattened with the line of underwear.

Fast forwardfive years, I was so into removing it as I would be donning wedding dress in few months.  No injection, only pressuring them.  Ended up midway…told wedding photographers to just photo shopped out of my keloid in every pictures.

This year, maybe I should be more persevere in flattening them.  
I shall post the progress from week to week.

Week 1 (July 10- July 17)

Bought a set of 12x3cm Cica Care from www.watsons.com.my for RM116 (member price) which could last for 56 days after cutting the sheet into half. Topped them up with Hiruscar Gel 15G four times application a day , a tube is RM16.50 which could last at least a week .





August 23, 2016

Been sticking the silicon sheet almost 24 hours for a month. Only cleanse them during bath and immediately patch them around the clock.

There is very minimal change on the appearance, which I notice slightly flat and smooth as compared to last month.

Once I remove it for awhile, the itchiness is unbearable. I just have to put the sheet back asap.

Anyway, I googled any good plastic surgeon to do steroid injection to flatten the keloid. Guess what I see online. People were comparing the money-minded Dr Charles Lee and so-called better Dr Sergius Ajik. 




But looking at the attached video of steroid injection, I really feel like ...hell. Might not go to clinic for the injection yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CICA-Care and Hiruscar gel.

Review on Qdees school.

Groupon-Tomoko Hair Salon.