Visiting Kelantan, the Islamic state in Malaysia, during Ramadhan month.

I had culture shock when I visited Kelantan during Ramadhan month recently. Although the state is part of Malaysia, which is comprised of multi-ethnic and diverse background, the consideration for others’ welfare is merely less.

Upon reaching the Sultan Ismail Petra airport, I was shocked to see none of the restaurants open during lunchtime. On the way to Kubang Kerian, despites passed by several fast food chain restaurants such as KFC, Pizza Hut and etc, none of them were opened.

I also learned that its hypermarkets such as Tesco, Nirvana and Mydin would close one-hour for ALL WORKERS to break the fast simultaneously. It is understandable they close it as most of their workers are muslims. It is just a new thing to me.


Our choices are either to cook at home or dine after the people broke their fast.

However, before breaking fast, the people thronged to the malls that they became so crowded. I had to queue for almost an hour for cashier.

Another concern is the water quality in Kelantan is below the standard of sanitised water. When I took bath, I could smell the “flood water” odor and it tasted slightly sour when it got into my mouth.  I limit my shower activity from twice to once a day. I also noticed my skin had some breakouts. That showed how terrible the water quality.

Perhaps the state has yet fully recover from the worst flood which inundated almost the whole state last year. It explained shops selling water filtration system are mushrooming even at Kubang Kerian alone. 

As I was there for a short stay, my option was to buy bottled water to cook. A huge bottle of water cost me at about RM10++.

When I went around the commercial area in Kubang Kerian, the traffic was chaotic. There were not organised.  Cars and motors just drove to whichever way they wanted to head to.

Seriously, I doubted restaurants will even bother about water usage for patrons to dine with.

I had tried the International chain restaurant Pizza Hut at Kubang Kerian. I ordered Spaghetti Bolognese and set. When the staff served it, I thought he delivered the wrong meal as I could not spot the beef meatballs, they were buried underneath the bland spaghetti-both its look and taste. The only good thing about the set was its coke and mushroom soup.

However, a café by the name of Laguno at Kubang Kerian serve good food- something acceptable. 

LUGANO: is a city in southern Switzerland. I really love the interior design. It is as if I was at somewhere else.

At here, you can find macaroons and other pastry which are baked nicely.

We ordered fish and chip. Both presentation and taste are nice. They were not oily. I guess the owner maintain all the ingredients including water. 
Before I came to Kelantan, I intended to try their local delicacies including the nasi dagang, Kerabu and etc. Unfortunately, it was also the first thing I get warned by friend that I would definitely get food poisoning. I didn’t want to risk of getting sick as I was also travelling with my 2-year-old daughter.



Source: New Straits Times. 
Just for cautious, their famous coleks which are imported from Thailand have been reported that they are potentially causing cancer.

I think the safer place to eat Malay delicacies are to get them from hotels. But the price should be more expensive.

I was so delighted when I visited Kelantan's China town which is also known as Kebun Sultan.  They are selling cheap food there. Two plates of Wantan noodle cost us RM9 only. Barley drink is only RM1. 

Kebun Sultan food court in Town aka China Town. 
The crunchy and warm Yao Cha Kueh and Tau Sar Piang. Each at RM0.80 only!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CICA-Care and Hiruscar gel.

Review on Qdees school.

Groupon-Tomoko Hair Salon.