Sabah Indoor Climbing Center.

Doing running alone at a fine evening could be quite a boring routine, so I decided to venture into this wall climbing activity that is available at Kompleks Likas. It is called as Sabah Indoor Climbing Centre, owned by ropeskills rigging if Im not mistaken.

I consider the participation fee is expensive. It costs RM21 per person that includes member fees, climbing gears rental (shoes, chalks bag, harness) and  belay service. It could be a standard price, but torturing own body with those challenging physical activity at that price seem like a bit ridiculous.

By saying they are challenging, it is almost true unless you are a lizard!

This sport requires strength and agility from the fingers strength (and also the arms) , footwork and rope skills(I presume this is for professional). And also a smart brain with a strong heart.

The goal is just to climb up until a climber can touch the plate number fixed at the top of certain wall. The wall has different types, shapes and colors of rocks which are arranged at specific location.

Climbers have to know how to find the grab-able surface around the rock (some are meant to rest the leg instead being gripped), and it is important to know how to position the body after succeeded in getting comfortable spot from the rock.

That's not the end, one has to continue looking for the next rock to hold and stand in order to be able to move upward. And that, requires one to exert more energy on feet or foot to push the body up.

It's scary to look down when you are halfway up! But, it is something that climber has to do especially when the climbing is based on color code. They have to look down to assure they are stepping the right stone, and also not to miss the "stepping stone". However, I find the tungsten lighting at the centre affects my clear vision, it made me color-blind when I was struggling with the physical tiredness that introduced transient mental block. Good thing is the belay personnel is there to tell you.

Back to the color-coding basis, each code representing certain level of fitness. By following the regulation without fail, climber will have to lift foot higher and wider than usual and the finger grips need to be strong enough to lift the trunk, both legs and other hand. OH MY GOD.

I always skip warming up session before I jog but no complications. But I don't think it works for wall climbing. I had left foot and neck cramps while I was midway to the top. I had to rest static to ease the pain before continuing. Lesson learned.

In term of safety, I am not sure whether one day I will die falling from the top of the wall. I was praying each rock won't come out from the wall, and the rope was intact along the climbing. I just know that those rocks are screwed tightly to the wall, the belay personnel and I have carabinars on our harnesses that "connect" us with certain type of ropes, and....

Carabinar
 
Harness


Gentle reminder to those who are renting those equipment, prepare yourself a pair of socks as the shared shoes could be really smelly, yes, other gears as well. Girls may want to bring wet tissues to get rid of the smell afterwards. Other permanent solution is to buy own gear at outdoor shops.

Below are the links for further enquiries.

T:+60148511400/0198837341
F:+6088848934
Email:roy@sicc.com.my

facebook: http://www.facebook.com/climbsabah.
Website:www.sicc.com.my

GPS coordinate:5.979103,116.091681

Comments

  1. Take rock climbing as a challenging sport. It will make you realize how life is.

    online climbing resource

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CICA-Care and Hiruscar gel.

Review on Qdees school.

Groupon-Tomoko Hair Salon.